Now a heritage site, set in tranquile garden, Krishnapuram Palace in Kayamkulam is imbued with Keralan grace and splendour. The exterior of the palace displays a perfect combination of neat lines and subtle angles and is a credit to the entire ensemble. It is constructed largely of wood, with gabled roofs and rooms opening out onto internal courtyards. The palace is now converted into a museum. Kayamkulam was once the centre of its own small kingdom. After a battle in 1746 it came under the control of Travancore's king Marathanda Varma. In the 18th century the area was famous for its spices, particularly pepper and cinnamon. The Abbe Reynal claimed that the Dutch exported some two million pounds of pepper every year, one-fifth of it from Kayamkulam. At this time the kingdom was also known for the skill of its army, fifteen thousand Nayars (Kerala's martial caste).
How to reach there:
Kayamkulam is an exciting excursion trip between Kollam and Alappuzha.
Road: It can be reached by regular non-express bus services from both places.
Boat: Boats are run by the Alleppey Tourism Development Co-op (ATDC) and the District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC). Local ferries are also available.
Jaladarshini, KTDC Yatri Nivas,
Railway Retiring Rooms
Karthika Tourist Home.
Komala. What to see:
A display case contains ceremonial utensils, oil lamps, fine miniature figures and small stone columns carved with serpent deities. The prize exhibit is a huge mural of the classical Keralan School measuring over fourteen square metres, which depicts Gajendra Moksha -the salvation of Gajendra-king of elephants. As in all Keralan paintings every inch of the painting is packed with detail and the outer edges are decorated with floriate border.